1. Drinking-Water Arsenic and Heart Disease Linked in Study of Native Americans: New York Times
The New York Times profiles the work of Dr. Ana Navas-Acien at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Navas-Acien has found a link between drinking-water arsenic and heart health by studying data from an ongoing survey of American Indians drinking water from private wells in the Dakotas and the Southwestern U.S.
2. Is This Model Wearing the Most Disgusting Native American Halloween Costume Ever?
Model Leilani Dowding posted this photo to Facebook with the caption, ‘I just got massacred by a cowboy Note Fur is FAKE!!!’ She appended the hashtags HalloweenCostume, happyhalloween, americanindian, and halloweenMakeUp.
3. What Worked, What Needs Work, and Why Be Optimistic About Native Vote
Paulette Jordan wins an Idaho legislative seat.
4. Winnipeg’s First Aboriginal Mayor Takes Office
THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods
Winnipeg’s mayor elect Brian Bowman celebrates his victory in the civic election on Wednesday, October 22, 2014.
5. Young Artist Micah Wesley: ‘The Colonizers Have Done a Number on Us’
Detail of ‘Redskin: Proof of Kill, Purchase, and Commodification’ by Micah Wesley. Oil, Acrylic, and Enamel on 12 pieces of cardboard; installation at the University of Oklahoma School of Art and Art History.
6. Former Redskins QB Scrambles Brains with Defense of Team Name
Jay Schroeder played for the Redskins from 1985-87.
7. Selling the Sacred: Get Your Master’s in Native American Shamanism?
Lakota elders Phyllis Swift Hawk, Marie Randall, and Carol Iron Rope-Herrera oppose cultural trespassing and appropriation, and believe the way to learn about spirituality is to be taught by someone who has studied in a hands-on way, rather than through a book.
8. New York State of Mind: The Native Peoples of Long Island
9. Hopi Impound Navajo Sheep from Partition Lands in Controversial Move
Navajo families from the Hopi Partition Lands walked to Navajo Council chambers on October 30 to tell President Ben Shelly about the confiscation of their livestock from Hopi Partition Land.
10. Native Alaska Votes and Celebrates
Election judges have to be versatile in Alaska: As Kristi Logusak (left) looks on, Desiree Green holds Clara and Kendall Wassillie’s baby, so mom and dad can vote.
11. Jon Stewart on Those “Ambushed” Redskins Fans & America’s Original Sin
12. The Season of the Natives