1. Don’t Wait for the White World to Catch Up
2. Revenant Actor Forrest Goodluck On Playing Leonardo DiCaprio’s Son
20th Century Fox (Dave Allocca)
Forrest Goodluck and Leonardo DiCaprio at the New York Premiere of “The Revenant”
3. Juneau Kicks Off Campaign Breaking Fundraising Record
Denise Juneau is a candidate for Congress in Montana.
4. Native Cooking: All About Herbs
Farmers are seen here harvesting Saffron in Iran. Because the herb has to be hand-harvested it is one of the most expensive.
5. Scared and Spied On Under Harper, Why Child Advocate Didn’t Give Up
Cindy Blackstock, Gitksan First Nation, fought tenaciously for nine years to get equal funding for indigenous children on reserves as executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada.
6. After 2015 Performance, Artist Frank Waln Mocked by CT High School’s ‘The Rez’ Twitter Account
Melinda Jane Myers Photography/ Twitter screen capture
Frank Waln was criticized this week on Twitter by students of a West Hartford High school cheering section who call themselves ‘The Rez’
7. After Mascot Ban at CT High School – Parent Designs ‘F*ck You’ Finger Headdress T-Shirt
After a mascot ban, an angry parent and Conard Chieftain high school alumni created a t-shirt with an image of a Native American man in a headdress with an emblem of a ‘f*ck you’ middle finger hidden in the medallion
8. Nine First Nations Unite With Declaration Against LNG Tankers in B.C. Salmon Waters
The nine allied tribes of Lax Kw’alaams supported by several other First Nations, pose for a photo after the signing of the Lelu Island Declaration, Saturday January 23. Chief Yahaan (Don Wesley) holds up the declaration for all to see.
9. Burns Paiute Tribe Responds to Oregon Militia Video
Screen capture from Bundy Ranch video
10. Supreme Court Rules Against Menominee Tribe, Denies Cert on NAGPRA Claim
The Supreme Court recently ruled against the Menominee Tribe of Wisconsin and declined to hear arguments in a NAGPRA case involving 12 Kumeyaay tribes.