iPhone catches fire in student’s pants

01/31/2014 — Leave a comment

Classmates came to Kennebunk Middle School student’s aid

Kennebunk Fire Department

KENNEBUNK, Maine —A Maine student was injured Friday morning when the iPhone in her pants’ pocket caught fire.

Kennebunk Middle School Principal Jeff Rodman said the 13-year-old girl sat down in a classroom and heard a pop, and smoke began billowing from the back of her pants.

More: Other ways your smartphone can hurt you

Rodman said three of her classmates came to her aid as her pants caught on fire.

One of the students went to get teachers who brought a blanket and an extinguisher to try to put out the fire, according to Rodman.

As they helped the girl get her pants off, the cellphone fell out of her pocket.

The school initiated a hold-in-place for about 20 minutes

Emergency crews arrived and took the girl to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford, where she was treated for first- and second-degree burns.

Rodman sent a letter to parents of students informing them of the situation.

 

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.