1. When the Mohawk Lacrosse Team Played at the Olympics
Source: Library and Archives Canada
The Native lacrosse players in this photo did not play at the 1904 Olympics — but the generation that followed them did. The Library and Archives Canada describes the image as ‘Men from the Mohawk Nation at Kahnawake (Caughnawaga) who were the Canadian lacrosse champions in 1869.’
2. Hardcore Version of Olympics: the Arctic Winter Games in Fairbanks
Logan Clow/Daily Herald-Tribune
A snowboarder grabs some air at the slopestyle event during the Arctic Winter Games Trials.
3. Watch an Asteroid the Size of Three Football Fields Rush Past Earth
Asteroid via artist’s rendering.
4. Is Jason Momoa of ‘Game of Thrones’ the Next Great Native Star?
Actor Jason Momoa as Phillip Kopus in the Sundance Channel series ‘The Red Road.’
5. Administration Agrees to Fully Pay Tribal Contract Support Costs
Indian Health Service Acting Director Yvette Roubideaux
6.4 Fast-Food Marketing Tactics Parents Can Adapt to Improve Kids’ Health
Courtesy Cornell Food & Brand Lab
7. Mills Kills Passamaquoddy-State Elvers Agreement
8. Olympic Star T.J. Oshie’s Girlfriend, Lauren Cosgrove, Also a Gold Medalist
T.J. Oshie and his girlfriend, Lauren Cosgrove.
9. New Digs in the Sonoran Desert: Tohono O’odham Members Line Up to Live in Villages
One of the 14 newly-constructed homes in the Tohono O’odham San Xavier District
10. Are Pedophiles Getting Free Pass in South Dakota?
Courtesy Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP)
Brother Francis Chapman, or “Chappy,” (labeled “12”) and Paul Frey (“27”), both deceased, were accused of abusing children in their care at St. Francis Mission, on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation, in South Dakota. Recently, Father Clarence Vavra, now of Minnesota, has confessed to abusing boys while at St. Francis in 1975, according to Ken Bear Chief, a paralegal and investigator with Tamaki Law Firm, in Washington State.
11. Preserving Indigenous Democracy
An Indian of the Tarahumara Mountains in northern Mexico in January 2012.
12. Coast Salish Nations Unite to Protect Salish Sea
13. Sacred Site Advocates Ask Senate to Heed Keith Harper Concerns