1. The Cacique in Havana: Visible at the Dawn of the 21st Century
2. A Native Guide to Investing: Eat Bite-Size Chunks of Stock
3. Mallott Wins Democratic Nomination for Alaska Governor
4. 7 Tribal Programs That Protect Our Winged and Four-Legged Brothers
Ongoing Colorado River habitat restoration efforts by the Cocopah Tribe have
brought back all manner of species.
5. Grizzly Bear Dancer to Highlight 20th Annual Harvest Pow Wow
6. Shoni Schimmel Shines in WNBA Playoffs
7. Marie Claire Features Women Fighting to Preserve Native Culture
Carlotta Cardana for Marie Claire
Juanita C. Toledo, 28, Walatowa-Pueblo of Jemez, works for the Wellness
Program on the Jemez Pueblo Reservation, and is one of the women featured
by Marie Claire.
8. Move Over, Tiger! Rickie Fowler, Navajo, Hailed Golf’s Next Superstar
AP Photo/David J. Phillip
Rickie Fowler watches his tee shot on the 11th hole during the final round of the
PGA Championship golf tournament at Valhalla Golf Club on Sunday,
Aug. 10, 2014, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
9. Pechanga Raises More Than copy00k for Wounded Vets and Youth Services
The 16th annual Pechanga Charity Golf Classic raised more than copy00,00 for
the Semper Fi Fund, School on Wheels, Operation SafeHouse, and United
Friends of the Children.
10. Los Angeles Times Profiles Glaring Safety Gaps in Mysterious NM Nuclear
U.S. Department of Energy/AP via the Los Angeles Times
The ostensibly foolproof plan to store nuclear waste in rooms carved out of salt
deposits such as this one, deep below the New Mexico desert, seems to have
been undermined by human error, a report in the Los Angeles Times reveals.
11. Leo DiCaprio Tours Tar Sands, Joins Natives in ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
Leonardo DiCaprio challeneges Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper to do
the Ice Bucket Challenge. Don’t hold your breath, Leo.
12. Jacoby Ellsbury Is Batting 1000!
13. ‘Injunuity’ Series Wins Best Short at In COLOR Film Festival
14. FEMA Ups Tribal Engagement With New Consultation Policy
W. Craig Fugate, Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator, is a
strong supporter of engagement with tribes.