Archives For Slavery
1. 15 Creepiest True Stories Ever Told
2. Top 10: Mythical Things That Likely Existed
3. 10 Sci-Fi Technologies That Already Exist
4. 10 Unexplained Discoveries
5. 10 Shocking Facts About the Slave Trade
6. 10 Children’s Books You Didn’t Know Were Racist
7. 10 Common Nightmares Explained
8. 10 Incredibly Deadly Plants
9. 10 Deadliest Poisons Known To ‘Humanity’
10. 10 Unexplained Medical Conditions
Martha and Robert Smalanskas must pay nanny $150,000 or face jail time
A Massachusetts couple prosecutors say treated their nanny as a “house slave” for 13 years have been sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to pay the woman $150,000.
Martha Smalanskas and her husband, Richard, parents of three from the town of Harvard, were sentenced Wednesday in federal court. They must pay the restitution by Jan. 1 or face prison time.
The Boston Globe reports they pleaded guilty earlier to misdemeanor charges of violating federal labor laws.
Prosecutors say they brought the woman from her native Bolivia even though she was not legally allowed to stay in the U.S.
She was paid less than $3,000 for the 13 years she cooked, cleaned, cared for their children.
A defense lawyer said the relationship was more positive than described by prosecutors.