1. The Price of Justice and a Ham Sandwich in Ferguson, Missouri
2. The Minnesota Miracle, Plus DOJ Has Our Backs
3. Wyatt’s Story: One Family’s Struggle to Educate a Special Needs Child
Eleven-year-old Wyatt DuBois is about to begin sixth grade. Although he is still
behind his peers academically, his teacher says he is making good progress.
4. Miccosukee Tribe Member Risks Life in Pit of Gators
Jim, 43, gets oh so close to the gator’s jaws.
5. Sam Bradford Is Out for NFL Season but Still in Madden 15
Sam Bradford is the first Native American to be featured in a Madden video game
6. Indian Country Must Tap the Power of Social Media at the Ballot Box
Voter education campaign from Alaska Native vote project. The web site tells
potential voters: “Your Life Does Depend On It! Get Out The Native Vote.”
The nationwide Native Vote Action Week is September 24 – 28, 2014.
7. California County in State of Emergency After 6.0 Earthquake Strikes Napa
Ben Margot/Associated Press
The remains of a mobile home are seen after a gas fire destroyed it as the result
of a magnitude 6.0 earthquake Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014, at the Napa Valley Mobile
Home Park, in Napa, Calif. A large earthquake caused significant damage and left
at least three critically injured in California’s northern Bay Area early Sunday,
igniting fires, sending at least 87 people to a hospital, knocking out power to
tens of thousands and sending residents running out of their homes in the darkness.
8. Washington Post’s Editorial Board Bans Use of ‘Redskins’
9. ‘Powwow Preppers’ and ‘Top Chief': Indian Reality TV I’d Like to See
10. North Dakota Briny Wastewater Spill Questions Still Unanswered a Month Later
AP Photo/Sarah Christianson
This July 15, 2014 aerial photo shows discolored vegetation, lower left, leading
from a pipeline where an estimated 1 million gallons of saltwater spilled from an
underground pipeline at Bear Den Bay along the Missouri River near Mandaree, N.D.
The environmental director of an American Indian tribe said he’s been shut out of the
tribe’s response to a massive saltwater spill on its North Dakota reservation, and
criticized leaders for leaving the public “in the absolute dark” on its severity.
11. Lummi’s Fight to Save the Salish Sea From Coal Terminals Profiled in Grist
The Lummi protest against coal terminals in their backyard in 2012.
12. Meditations: Native American Flute Album