Archives For Burns


Young boys scalded by hot water in Lynn apartment


Classmates came to Kennebunk Middle School student’s aid

Kennebunk Fire Department

KENNEBUNK, Maine —A Maine student was injured Friday morning when the iPhone in her pants’ pocket caught fire.

Kennebunk Middle School Principal Jeff Rodman said the 13-year-old girl sat down in a classroom and heard a pop, and smoke began billowing from the back of her pants.

More: Other ways your smartphone can hurt you

Rodman said three of her classmates came to her aid as her pants caught on fire.

One of the students went to get teachers who brought a blanket and an extinguisher to try to put out the fire, according to Rodman.

As they helped the girl get her pants off, the cellphone fell out of her pocket.

The school initiated a hold-in-place for about 20 minutes

Emergency crews arrived and took the girl to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford, where she was treated for first- and second-degree burns.

Rodman sent a letter to parents of students informing them of the situation.