1. David Bowie: The Day the Music Died (Again)
2. Dennis Banks Declares War on Drugs with Longest Walk 5
This image is from the Longest Walk 3, when the walkers stopped at Torrey Pines State Beach in San Diego, California.
3. Isleta Pueblo Score Largest Parcel of Trust Land in Single Application
Mary Annette Pember – Department of Interior Sec. Sally Jewell and Isleta Pueblo Gov. E. Paul Torres complete signing documents placing land into trust for the Isleta Pueblo at a ceremony Friday Jan. 15 at the Pueblo in New Mexico
4. Zas (“Snow” in Navajo) – A Winter Poem
iStock – Thanks to Mikayla J. McRoye (Navajo/Hopi), who submitted her poem ‘Zas’ to ICTMN.
5. Kinder Morgan Pipeline Opponents Call on Trudeau to Overhaul Regulatory Board
Neskonlith Chief Judy Wilson (holding “Climate Justice” sign), Grand Chief Stewart Phillip (with “Stop Kinder Morgan” sign) and Carleen Thomas (in red shirt) of Tsleil-Waututh First Nation were among dozens of protesters outside hearings before Canada’s National Energy Board in British Columbia. Regulators are receiving testimony over Kinder Morgan’s proposed oil pipeline expansion.
6. Not for the Faint-Hearted: ‘The Revenant’
7. Betrayal by Labels: The Feebleminded, ADHD Native Chi
Diagnosing Native children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and treating them with stimulants does nothing to improve their educational or intellectual growth.
8. Tulalip School Shooter Father Gets Two Years in Prison
Ted S. Warren/AP – Raymond Lee Fryberg Jr. walks out of the Federal Courthouse in Seattle, in April 2015 after pleading not guilty to illegally possessing the gun his son used in a deadly high school shooting.
9. Miss Native American Plays Tooth Fairy
Photo by Roshan Spotsville
Miss Native American USA 2015-16 Kristina Hyatt is teaming up with America’s ToothFairy: National Children’s Oral Health Foundation to reach out to Native children across the country through the America’s Tooth Fairy Smile Drive.
10. Ontario Highway Closed After Train Derailment on Magnetawan First Nation
11. 4 Dead, 2 Critically Injured in Saskatchewan School Shooting Near First Nation
Five people died and several injured, two critically, at a school shooting in Saskatchewan near Clearwater River Dene Nation.
Way North Foods via YouTube
A $26.48 price tag for this Christmas turkey quickly flips to copy 99.99 in this ad parodying Nunavut’s high food prices. The public service ads use humor to draw attention to a serious nutritional issue.