1. Nevada and Southern California Tribes Net $10.4 Million in Grants From EPA
Water-cleanup and related projects will get the lion’s share of some $10.4 million in grants going to Nevada and Southern California tribes.
2. Eastern Cherokee Band Forbids Fracking on Its Sovereign Lands
The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina have passed a resolution prohibiting fracking on their sovereign lands.
3. Naked Faux Savages and Neo-Racism in Berlin
Captain Jacobsen, a play that recently premiered in Berlin, is receiving mixed reviews some of which are calling it neo-racism.
4. Juliette Lewis Offers Words, Poetry, and Music in Memory of Misty Upham
Juliette Lewis’ handwritten farewell to Misty Upham, posted to Instagram.
5. Horse Lovers Share Vision to Develop Native Bronc Riders
Philip Whiteman, Jr. during one of his rides.
6. American Indian Motion Picture Awards, Coming to a Television Near You
Poster art for the 2013 AIFF by Steven Paul Judd, featuring Will Sampson leading a who’s who of Native talent. Can you name all the others depicted here?
7. 1964 Centennial Indian Princesses Gather for Anniversary Reception
Aloha Callac-Jones competed against 21 other women 50 years ago, and won the crown.
8. Thompson Brothers Sign With Nike
Miles, Jeremy and Jerome Thompson smile after allegedly signing contracts with Nike.
9. Hector Vazquez Top Chef for Twin Arrows Navajo Casino
Hector Vazquez was recently named executive chef for Twin Arrows Navajo Casino Resort
10. Inside the Dirty-Tricks Playbook of Jack Abramoff
11. Cultural Tourism to Be Introduced at AFN Annual Convention
Dan Jolin/Associated Press
Ashley Akpik and the Tagiugmiut Dancers of Barrow perform an Inupiat dance at the opening of the Alaska Federation of Natives Convention on Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012, in Anchorage, Alaska. Several thousand Alaska Natives from around the state are expected to attend the three-day event.
12. Native Cooking: Mixing Up Something New With Cranberries
A coastal Washington cranberry bog.
13. Voters Could Stop Keystone XL Pipeline through South Dakota Senate Race
14. Vote ‘I’ for Indian: Big Tax Break for Natives
15. Time for the Tribal National Park to Properly Honor Native Culture