1. There’d Be No American Without Native Warriors
2. Looking Good: Satellite Voting Proposed for Red Lake Nation
Courtesy Red Lake Political Education Committee
U.S. Senator Al Franken (D-Minn.) with Beltrami County Commissioner Tim Sumner.
3. Chilling Rez Drama ‘Rhymes for Young Ghouls’ Secures U.S. Distribution
Star Kawennáhere Devery Jacobs in a scene from ‘Rhymes for Young Ghouls.’
4. The Minnesota Swarm Celebrates 5th Lax-4-Life Camp With Fond du Lac Tribe
5. St. Regis Tribal Police Welcome New Graduates, Smoke and Lazare
Courtesy St. Regis Mohawk Tribe
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s newest police officers Julie Smoke and Tyson Lazare.
6. Classic ’70s Poster: Buffy Sainte-Marie Preaches Pride and Acceptance
7. Fat Chance: Small Changes Can Make Big Differences in Obesity Crisis
James O. Hill, director of the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center at the
University of Colorado medical center in Aurora, says it is natural for us to gain
weight in the food-rich, sedentary environment we’ve created for ourselves.
“Our biology is not broken,” he says.
8. Video: Moonscape in Wake of Washington Fire Devastation, as Blaze Rages On
Three animals are barely discernable as they pick their way across the moonscape
that is now part of the Methow Valley in central Washington State.
9. Mark Macarro Elected to Tenth Term as Pechanga Chairman
10. NIGC Reports 0.5 Percent Growth to $28B in 2013 Tribal Gaming Revenues
The map above illustrates the seven NIGC regions across the country. For 2013,
all regions experienced growth with the exception of St. Paul region. The largest
growth in GGR occurred within the Oklahoma City Region, which includes 60 gaming
operations in western Oklahoma and Texas.
11. Video: NCAI to Lead My Brother’s Keeper Native American Task Force
President Barack Obama signs the My Brother’s Keeper initiative. He said: “That’s
what ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ is all about. Helping more of our young people stay on
track. Providing the support they need to think more broadly about their future.
Building on what works—when it works, in those critical life-changing moments.”
12. Team Haudenosaunee U16 Wins Gold at the North American Indigenous Games
13. SCIA Oversight Hearing to Address Indian Gaming Over Next Quarter-Century
The city council in Glendale, Arizona, voted 4-3 to support the TohonoO’odham
Nation off-reservation casino, West Valley Resort, near Glendale.
14. Worst. Babysitter. Ever. Wes Studi Is Ronnie BoDean
Would you leave your kids with this man? What if you were in jail, though…
15. EPA Awards $5 Million for Research on Climate Change and Tribal Health
Not all emissions are as obvious as these. The U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency has awarded about $5 million in grants for air-quality and other studies
related to climate change and tribal health.
16. Man Wounded by RCMP Leaves Hospital, Goes Directly to Jail
Evan Cromarty, 20, was shot by Canadian police at a baseball game at Norway
House Cree First Nation and was taken into custody upon leaving the hospital.