The parking lot outside Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City on April 13, 2014. KCTV
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – Shootings at Jewish-related locations in a Kansas City suburb left three people dead on Sunday and a suspect was in custody, CBS affiliate KCTV reported.
One shooting was reported about 1 p.m. Sunday at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City, according to an Overland Park Fire Department spokesman. This happened at the Lewis and Shirley White Theatre inside the center.
About 75 people were inside the theater, most of them children, KCTV said.
Teens were auditioning for KC Superstar and parents were frantically trying to get to their children. One of the dead was killed in the parking lot of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City.
A second shooting was reported at Village Shalom, an assisted living center on West 123rd Street in Overland Park.
A suspect was arrested at the Valley View Park Elementary School, a mile away from Village Shalom. KCTV reported the suspect appeared to yell “Heil Hitler” as he was being led away in handcuffs by Overland Park police.
Police said one of the dead was killed in the parking lot of the Jewish Community Center.
Authorities also confirmed that a one person was undergoing surgery at Overland Park Regional Medical Center. It wasn’t immediately clear whether that one person died in surgery and was one of the three dead or was a fourth person shot.
Worried relatives of residents toldKCTV that Village Shalomhas been placed on lockdown.Phyllis Cantor, who is undergoing rehabilitation at Village Shalom, said she heard the sound of sirens. She said many police officers are at the scene and their focus appeared to be on a white car in the parking lot.
Krystina Cassidy, left, and Dianna Simpson attempt to make contact with their husbands who are stationed inside Fort Hood while standing outside of the Bernie Beck Gate on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in Fort Hood, Texas. TAMIR KALIFA, AP
FORT HOOD, Texas - A soldier opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood, killing three people and wounding several others before taking his own life, law enforcement sources told CBS News.
The incident occurred Wednesday afternoon at Fort Hood, the site of a notorious 2009 mass shooting.
Law enforcement sources said four people were killed, including the gunman, who died of a self-inflicted wound. Authorities said 11 other people were wounded, some of them seriously.
Sources told CBS News the shooter had been identified as 34-year-old soldier Ivan Lopez. A source said the violence apparently stemmed from some sort of soldier dispute.
In Chicago, President Barack Obama said he was following the situation closely.
“Any shooting is trouble. Obviously, this reopens the pain of what happened Fort Hood five years ago,” the president said.
“We’re heartbroken that something like this might have happened again,” Obama said. “I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”
“It’s a terrible tragedy, we know that. We know that there are casualties, both people killed and injured,” Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel told reporters in Honolulu, Hawaii, where he was meeting with Asian defense ministers.
Warning sirens went off around 4:25 p.m. and all personnel were urged to shelter in place as the base went on lockdown.
“There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported. Emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known at this time,” the post said in a brief statement.
A man who said he was a witness told CBS affiliate KWTX that about 20 shots were fired at a post motor pool. The man said he saw a soldier jumping over a fence and running away, but it was not clear whether that solider may have been the shooter.
Emergency crews from several surrounding communities headed to the base, home of the Army’s 1st Cavalry Division.
Officials at Baylor Scott & White Health said Wednesday evening that the hospital was treating four patients and that two others were en route. The patients had injuries to the chest, neck and extremities. Their conditions ranged from stable to quite critical, officials said.
First responders from surrounding communities headed to the post, home of the Army’s 1st Cavalry Division.
Ford Hood near Killeen in central Texas was the site of a mass murder on Nov. 5, 2009, when Maj.Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a soldier readiness center on the base. He shot 13 people dead and wounded more than 30 others. It was the worst shooting ever to take place on an American military base.Hasan, who was left paralyzed when he was shot by police responding to the shooting spree, has been sentenced to death for the rampage.
Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, offered sympathies to the Fort Hood community on Wednesday night.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Fort Hood community in the aftermath of this tragedy. Many questions remain and our focus is on supporting the victims and their families,” Dempsey said. “This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength.”
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, asked Americans to pray for the victims and their families.
“Tonight, Texans’ hearts are once again very heavy. The scenes coming from Fort. Hood today are sadly too familiar and still too fresh in our memories,” he said. “No community should have to go through this horrific violence once, let alone twice.”
ROXBURY, Mass. — Boston police are investigating a shooting at the Ruggles T-Station in the Roxbury section of the city.
A police spokesperson confirms to NewsCenter 5 that two shooting victims were taken to area hospitals; one to Boston Medical Center, the other to Brigham and Women’s.
There’s no word yet on their conditions.
Northeastern University police sent an alert to students due to the proximity of the T-station to the university’s campus.
“There has been a non-fatal shooting involving a juvenile male victim in the area of Ruggles Street and Tremont Street occurring within the past twenty minutes,” the statement read. “There is one suspect in custody with a weapon. Police are still searching the area for additional victims and possible suspects. There is no Northeastern affiliation with either the victim or the suspect. The Northeastern University community is advised to stay clear of this area while the investigation is ongoing.”
Campus police said students and the campus are not in any danger.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A Boston man accused of driving a getaway car related to a triple homicide in Boston in 2009 is accused of fatally shooting two men and injuring another that year in Providence.
Nigel Nichols is held in a maximum security prison at Concord, Mass., on charges of being an accessory in a triple homicide.
The Providence Journal reports that an investigation by Providence police led them to link Nichols to the murder of an Army soldier and his friend, and the shooting of the soldier’s younger brother on Dec. 6, 2009.
David Thomas and Domingo Ortiz were killed and Thomas’ younger brother, Dwaynne Thomas, was wounded.
Nichols has been charged with murder and other offenses in indictments unsealed on Friday. It wasn’t known Sunday if he’s represented by a lawyer.