Krystina Cassidy, left, and Dianna Simpson attempt to make contact with their husbands who are stationed inside Fort Hood while standing outside of the Bernie Beck Gate on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in Fort Hood, Texas. TAMIR KALIFA, AP
FORT HOOD, Texas - A soldier opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood, killing three people and wounding several others before taking his own life, law enforcement sources told CBS News.
The incident occurred Wednesday afternoon at Fort Hood, the site of a notorious 2009 mass shooting.
Law enforcement sources said four people were killed, including the gunman, who died of a self-inflicted wound. Authorities said 11 other people were wounded, some of them seriously.
Sources told CBS News the shooter had been identified as 34-year-old soldier Ivan Lopez. A source said the violence apparently stemmed from some sort of soldier dispute.
In Chicago, President Barack Obama said he was following the situation closely.
“Any shooting is trouble. Obviously, this reopens the pain of what happened Fort Hood five years ago,” the president said.
“We’re heartbroken that something like this might have happened again,” Obama said. “I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”
“It’s a terrible tragedy, we know that. We know that there are casualties, both people killed and injured,” Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel told reporters in Honolulu, Hawaii, where he was meeting with Asian defense ministers.
Warning sirens went off around 4:25 p.m. and all personnel were urged to shelter in place as the base went on lockdown.
“There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported. Emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known at this time,” the post said in a brief statement.
A man who said he was a witness told CBS affiliate KWTX that about 20 shots were fired at a post motor pool. The man said he saw a soldier jumping over a fence and running away, but it was not clear whether that solider may have been the shooter.
Emergency crews from several surrounding communities headed to the base, home of the Army’s 1st Cavalry Division.
Officials at Baylor Scott & White Health said Wednesday evening that the hospital was treating four patients and that two others were en route. The patients had injuries to the chest, neck and extremities. Their conditions ranged from stable to quite critical, officials said.
First responders from surrounding communities headed to the post, home of the Army’s 1st Cavalry Division.
Ford Hood near Killeen in central Texas was the site of a mass murder on Nov. 5, 2009, when Maj.Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a soldier readiness center on the base. He shot 13 people dead and wounded more than 30 others. It was the worst shooting ever to take place on an American military base.Hasan, who was left paralyzed when he was shot by police responding to the shooting spree, has been sentenced to death for the rampage.
Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, offered sympathies to the Fort Hood community on Wednesday night.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Fort Hood community in the aftermath of this tragedy. Many questions remain and our focus is on supporting the victims and their families,” Dempsey said. “This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength.”
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, asked Americans to pray for the victims and their families.
“Tonight, Texans’ hearts are once again very heavy. The scenes coming from Fort. Hood today are sadly too familiar and still too fresh in our memories,” he said. “No community should have to go through this horrific violence once, let alone twice.”
Foundation deciding what to do with $11 million in donations
HARTFORD, Conn. — Some Newtown residents are calling for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter’s home to be torn down and replaced with a park or nature preserve, according to a new community survey.
The Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation received more than 1,600 responses to the survey it released Monday on town residents’ unmet needs in the wake of the December 2012 shootings. The foundation has been deciding how to distribute more than $11 million in donations made in response to the shootings, which left 20 first-graders and six educators dead.
While most of the survey responses said money for mental health counseling and other family expenses are top priorities, a small percentage of community members mentioned funds to buy and tear down Adam Lanza’s home, said Jennifer Barahona, the foundation’s executive director. She said several people who live near the Lanza house said in the survey that it should be razed.
“That’s not something we’re considering at this time,” Barahona said. “It’s really outside of our scope.”
The house in Newtown is where Lanza, 20, lived with his mother, Nancy Lanza, and shot her to death before the school killings. It’s about 5 miles from the school, which has been demolished as part of the plan to build a new building on the same property. Adam Lanza killed himself at the school as police arrived.
Nancy Lanza’s property remains tied up in probate court proceedings. After her death, it was turned over to her ex-husband, Peter Lanza, and their other son, Ryan, according to court documents. Town records show the 3,200-square-foot colonial home and 2-acre property has an appraised value of about $524,000.
Lawyers in the probate case didn’t immediately return messages Wednesday seeking comment.
“There really is nothing we can do,” Barahona said. “The estate is in probate and it’s likely to be there for years to come. I also imagine there would be lawsuits against the estate at some point.”
There have been no talks among town officials about buying the property or doing anything with it, First Selectman Pat Llodra’s office said.
The Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation has about $4 million left after giving more than $7 million to the 40 families most affected by the shootings.
The foundation recently approved $200,000 in spending. That includes $75,000 for out-of-pocket mental health costs for families, $75,000 for a “financial needs fund” for those affected by the shootings, $40,000 for public education and training on how to respond to signs of trauma and other mental health concerns, and $10,000 for community-wide educational programming.
Raymond Scott, 48, was taken to South Shore Hospital with non-fatal injuries, officials said.
“There has been growing family tension between Raymond Scott and Gai Scott,” Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz said in a statement.
The two were in the procession heading toward St. Peter’s Church in Plymouth for the funeral of Raymond Scott’s mother.
“At some point when the cars were side by side, Gai Scott fired several shots into the red Dodge SUV being driven by Raymond Scott,” the statement said.
“There were shell casings everywhere,” said Marty Kearns, who was driving on Route 3. “There were four holes up the side of the vehicle which started in the rear and then there were three in the passenger door.”
Raymond Scott got out of his SUV and was taken to the Duxbury police station by a passerby. He was then taken to the hospital.
Gai Scott was arrested by Plymouth police and charged with assault with intent to murder.
Benzino was a member of rap group Made Men before becoming a solo artist. He has appeared on the reality television show “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta,” since 2012 and is CEO of Hip-Hop Weekly. The magazine’s website confirmed Saturday night that Benzino had been shot.
Hip-Hop Weekly reported his condition as stable.
The funeral was delayed, but was held with blood-spattered cars and a hearse in the parking lot.
“The shock to me was when I came out at the end of the funeral and saw the hearse and the limo wrapped in crime scene tape. That was a jolt,” said Father William Williams, the parish priest.
Route 3 in Duxbury was closed for several hours during the police investigation.
DEDHAM, Mass. — Almost 20 years after a young Milton man was shot to death on a side street in Upper Mills, Kenyatte E. Murrell and Jameel A. Williams have pleaded guilty to manslaughter, the Patriot Ledger reported.
Murrell, 41, and Williams, 37, were originally convicted in 2003 in the murder of Milton High School graduate Gregory Cormier, but that conviction was overturned five years later by the State Supreme Judicial Court with a reprimand for prosecutorial misconduct.
Murrell and Williams have been held in state prison in Norfolk, awaiting a new trial on first-degree murder charges, since that ruling.
On Tuesday in Norfolk Superior Court, Judge Raymond J. Brassard sentenced Murrell to a 19 1/2 -year prison term and Williams to an 18-year prison term on the manslaughter charges.
Both men were also sentenced to concurrent prison terms of 15-20 years after each pleaded guilt to a charge of armed assault with intent to murder for shooting the passenger in Cormier’s car, Wayne Jackson.
Williams and Murrell were convicted in late 2003, partly from testimony by Shawn Castle, the prosecution’s key witness. Castle said he drove the two men to the murder site and then gave them a ride back to another gang member’s house.
Castle was later deported to his native country of Trinidad as a result of other convictions. After the supreme court overturned the conviction, Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey sent a State Police lieutenant to Trinidad to search for Castle, who was eventually found but was unwilling to return to Massachusetts to testify.
Prosecutors also said that one police witness has died since the 2003 trial, and another is retired.
“This was a difficult case in 2003. The loss of multiple witnesses, including the driver, left us with the choice between accepting a plea to manslaughter and the very real potential of walking away with a not guilty verdict after another trial,” Morrissey said in a written statement. “We have to deal with the state of the evidence today and make our decisions on that basis.”
Cormier’s killing shocked Milton, which at the time hadn’t seen much of Boston’s street violence spill over into its neighborhoods.
Cormier was 20 and had played basketball for Milton High School. He was fatally shot in his Mazda as he and his friend Wayne Jackson drove through Upper Mills.
Sandy Hook School torn down after Connecticut shooting
NEWTOWN, Conn. — Architects designing the new Sandy Hook Elementary School will be presenting their plans to Newtown officials after getting input from more than 200 people.
Svigals + Partners is scheduled to show its concepts to Newtown’s Public Building and Site Commission on Tuesday night.
The old Sandy Hook School was torn down following the December 2012 shootings that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead. A new school will be built on the same property.
The News-Times of Danbury reports that New Haven-based Svigals + Partners is proposing a two-story building that will have wide, connecting “Main Street” boulevards inside, four “tree houses,” footbridges, courtyards and many large windows that will provide natural lighting.
Architects say they’re designing a school that will be safe without feeling like a fortress.
NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. — Police say a Rhode Island woman intentionally shot herself to death at a Massachusetts gun range over the weekend.
The Sun Chronicle reports Monday that police said 22-year-old Ariene DeBarros of Providence shot herself at about 2 p.m. Saturday at the American Firearms School in North Attleborough, where she had gone target shooting with her brother and his girlfriend. She was pronounced dead at Sturdy Memorial Hospital.
The newspaper said a police report said DeBarros left notes about her intention and also posted a comment to her Facebook page.
Someone who saw the posting called police, but the warning was too late.
Police said they were told the woman’s boyfriend recently died, but her Facebook posting said that wasn’t her motivation.
Police said the school is licensed by local police and complies with town regulations.
Mark Tomas Regan found hiding in attic, prosecutors say
BOSTON — A West Roxbury man was held without bail Monday after he allegedly shot his father to death in the home they shared.
Mark Tomas Regan, 33, was arraigned in West Roxbury Municipal Court in connection with the fatal shooting of Mark Thomas Regan, 66.
Prosecutors allege police found the victim dead at 105 Perham St. on Friday morning after they were called to the home for a wellness check. Officers allegedly found Mark Tomas Regan hiding in the attic.
The investigation revealed that some of the victim’s co-workers, concerned about his absence from work, visited the home on Wednesday. The defendant allegedly told them that he wasn’t home and was out with friends.
Mark Tomas Regan is currently on probation following a two and a half year house of correction sentence on a conviction for unlawful possession of a firearm and assault with a dangerous weapon.
NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. — Police say a woman is seriously hurt after she apparently shot herself accidentally at a North Attleboro firing range on Saturday afternoon.
The Attleboro Sun Chronicle reports that the woman was practicing shooting at about 2 p.m. at the American Firearms School when her gun appeared to jam, according to witnesses. The woman was treated in the back of an ambulance and taken to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, The Sun Chronicle stated.
The range officer evacuated everyone from the shooting range after the incident, according to The Sun Chronicle.