Archives For Carbon Monoxide
16 students, 2 adults taken to area hospitals
DOUGLAS, Mass. — Eighteen patients, including sixteen children, were taken to local hospitals and the Douglas Municipal Center was evacuated Monday morning after high carbon monoxide readings were reported in the building.
Seventy-seven students who attend a kindergarten housed in the building were taken to a nearby elementary school.
“Two of the students had a headache, two were nauseous, but mostly it was anxiety so it was important to check them and we continue to do that,” said Nancy Lane, Douglas school superintendent.
Two adults were also among those taken to area hospitals. None of the injuries were reported to be serious.
A malfunctioning boiler caused the problems about 10:30 a.m. at the building on Depot Street, fire officials said.
“Until we know the furnace is fixed, they’ll stay out of the building,” said Douglas Police Chief Patrick Foley.
Emergency crews from Douglas and several other neighboring towns responded to the incident.
Man killed by carbon monoxide gas in New York
BOSTON — The head of Legal Sea Foods is planning changes at all of the chain’s restaurants after a deadly accident.
A restaurant manager died Saturday night in Long Island when carbon monoxide leaked at the Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island.
Steven Nelson, 55, was found unconscious in the basement. He was taken to Huntington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Twenty-seven other people were taken to the hospital, including three officers who responded to the call.
“This is a fair amount of trauma. Like a family, you come together and do the best you can with it,” said Legal CEO Roger Berkowitz.
“There was some defective heating equipment in the building, specifically a flu pipe from one of the water heaters than failed,” Huntington fire marshal Terence McNally said.
While carbon monoxide detectors can save lives, the restaurant at the mall did not have one. New York law only requires them in places where people sleep.
Massachusetts law says the same applies to hotels, but now Legal says it will train its employees to learn how to act at the first sign of a leak.
“This was a hell of a wake-up call to have to go through,” Berkowitz said. “We will certainly go through each and every one of our restaurants and make sure that we have detectors in there.”
York fire chief says there are “multiple victims”
OGUNQUIT, Maine — Several towns are responding to a carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Ogunquit.
York’s fire chief tells WMTW News 8 there are “multiple victims.”
Crews were called to 693 Main St. in Ogunquit just after noon on Sunday.
Other details of the incident were not immediately available.
Check back with WCVB.com for the latest on this story.
Restaurant manager found dead in basement
HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. — Police say a 55-year-old restaurant manager has died and more than two dozen others were taken to hospitals after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a restaurant at a New York mall.
A Suffolk County police spokesman identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson, a restaurant manager at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island. The restaurant is located in a detached building that is part of the mall.
Police said 27 others affected by carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals. They said four ambulance personnel and three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the complex, which is about 35 miles east of New York City.
Police Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said the leak appeared to originate with the heating system.
Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.
Plaistow home had carbon monoxide detector with no batteries
PLAISTOW, N.H. — Three adults died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Plaistow and a fourth person was hospitalized, fire officials confirmed Tuesday.
Two men and a woman were found unresponsive at 5 Center Circle at 11:30 a.m. after the fire department was called for a well-being check. A fourth person was found alive, and was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Fire officials said carbon monoxide readings were in excess of 400 parts per million. An alarm will typically sound at 35 parts per million, but fire officials said the batteries had been removed from the carbon monoxide detector in the home.
Officials said they determined the carbon monoxide came from the home’s propane-fired heating system, but they’re still investigating exactly what happened.
Stephanie McKay, 36, lives across the street from the victims. She saw emergency responders carry a man out of the house to a waiting ambulance, then put on breathing gear to re-enter the yellow Cape-style home.
She didn’t know the victims well but said they were roommates who took good care of the house and even trucked in beach sand to set up a volleyball court in the backyard during summer.
“It’s so sad,” she said.
Degnan said the victims’ identities won’t be released until the family has been notified.
Just last week, New Hampshire State Fire Marshal, J. William Degnan warned residents about carbon monoxide poisonings.
“It is the deadliest time of the year for home fires and CO poisonings. As families struggle to stay warm, it’s important to clear flues and outside exhaust vents of snow and debris, place generators outside if there is a power outage and keep flammable materials at least 3 feet away from any heat source. These small, but vital, actions can be life-saving,” Degnan said Thursday.
NewsCenter 5 and WCVB.com will have more information when it becomes available.
Manchester apartment evacuated
MANCHESTER, N.H. — Manchester firefighters responded to an apartment building on Auburn Street Sunday for a carbon monoxide leak.
Firefighters said they found high levels of carbon monoxide and evacuated the apartment. The victims, ages 9 to 64,were taken to the hospital by ambulance.
The apartment building has been ventilated. Firefighters said there were no carbon monoxide detectors present in the building.
Barrows Elementary School evacuated again
READING, Mass. — For the second time this week, students and faculty members at the Reading’s Barrows Elementary School were evacuated after high carbon monoxide levels were detected.
On Thursday, students in the Barrows Elementary School on Edgemont Avenue in Reading were evacuated to Austin Prep where parents were notified to pick them up.
The school had been evacuated on Tuesday for the same issue.
No illnesses or injuries were reported in either incident.
Barrows Elementary School evacuated
READING, Mass. —Students and faculty members were evacuated from an elementary school in Reading Tuesday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.
Students in the Barrows School on Edgemont Avenue in Reading were evacuated to Austin Prep where parents were notified to pick them up.
There was no immediate word if anyone inside the building was sickened by the fumes.
A carbon monoxide leak at a Waltham school sent more than a dozen students to the hospital on Sunday morning.
Firefighters responded to St. Mary’s Educational Center on Pond Street at about 10 a.m.
Officials said students had been attending Sunday school inside the building, which is located behind the Parish of St. Mary, when they were evacuated due to the high levels of carbon monoxide.
Seventeen students were transported to an area hospital for evaluation.