BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A Moroccan national was detained without bail in Connecticut after FBI agents discovered his plot to fly bombs on drone-like devices made out of radio-controlled airplanes into a school and a federal building, according to federal authorities.
The FBI arrested 27-year-old El Mehdi Semlali Fahti on Monday on immigration-related charges, and he may later face terrorism charges in a federal grand jury investigation, federal prosecutors said. Fahti’s arrest was first reported by the Connecticut Post.
Authorities didn’t disclose the exact locations of the alleged targets, only that Fahti purportedly planned to fly the bombs into an out-of-state school and a federal building in Connecticut, the Post reported.
The FBI said Fahti was secretly recorded by an undercover agent saying he studied the bomb attack operation for months. Authorities say they found wires and tools in his Bridgeport apartment but didn’t say if any explosives were found.
Fahti told the undercover agent that he could obtain items needed for the bomb plot in Southern California near the Mexico border and that funding would come from secret accounts filled with laundered money and drug-dealing profits, the FBI said.
Fahti appeared Monday in federal court in Bridgeport, where Magistrate Judge William Garfinkel granted prosecutors’ request to detain Fahti without bail.
His federal public defender, Paul Thomas, didn’t immediately return phone and email messages from The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Authorities charged Fahti with immigration-related crimes including making a false statement, falsely swearing under oath and falsifying declarations to a federal immigration judge. Officials said Fahti stayed in the U.S. for seven years after his student visa expired after flunking out of Virginia International University.
Fahti was facing deportation to Morocco and made the false statements while seeking political asylum in the U.S., authorities said.
AUBURN, Maine — Auburn police have charged a city man with attempted murder for allegedly using an electrical cord to choke his girlfriend.
Mack Williams Jr. was held Monday at Androscoggin County Jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail following a court appearance.
The Sun Journal reports that police say they were called to his home at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday by a roommate who reported that the 30-year-old Williams and his girlfriend had argued and the argument had turned physical.
The roommate said Williams also attacked him.
Williams’ girlfriend told police that the argument started because she thought he had cheated on her.
Williams told police that his girlfriend had swung her arms at him and he does not remember using the electrical cord.
Officials released surveillance video of a person they wanted to talk to — a man seen running from the area around the time of the attack. But in the end, police said it was the victim who saw her attacker Monday night in the North End.
“She called the sexual assault unit, called the investigator assigned to her case. That investigator contacted the district, to make sure we got a uniformed car down there and we got them down there in short order, and the suspect was taken into custody,” Boston Police superintendent Robert Merner said.
After the assault last month, the attacker took off on Tileston Street, but not before the victim said he snapped a picture of her with his cellphone.
Police aren’t saying if the man in the surveillance video is the man who was arrested Monday night or if the victim’s picture was found on his phone.
“He’s a 26-year-old white male,” Merner said. He’s a present Boston resident.”
BOSTON — Boston police arrested five people and seized nine illegal guns in a 15-hour span starting Friday, officials said.
Police first recovered four guns, ammunition and a ballistic vest from a backpack inside a trash can at Thetford Avenue and Evans Street in Dorchester at 10:30 a.m. on Friday.
Later that night at 47 Topliff St. in Mattapan, police said they seized seized three guns and 15 plastic bags of marijuana while executing a search warrant. Jesor Brown, 19, of Roslindale; James Edwards, 22, of Dorchester; and Jesus Gonzalez, 23, of Dorchester were arrested on various firearm and drug charges.
Police said at about 1:30 a.m. on Saturday they recovered two handguns during a motor vehicle stop at Carmen and Radcliffe streets in Dorchester. Lino Cook, 22, of Dorchester, and Rickie Thompson, 29, of Mattapan, were arrested for violating auto laws and firearm charges.
“Reducing violence in our neighborhood starts with taking illegal guns off of our streets,” Police Commissioner William Evans said in a statement.
Police have seized 110 firearms in Boston in 2014.
AUBURN, Mass. — Police discovered evidence of a methamphetamine laboratory at the Auburn home of a man being arrested on child pornography charges on Thursday, authorities said.
While arresting Derek Ransom, 30, on two counts of child pornography, police found a bucket of chemicals used in making meth, District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said in a statement. Police were granted a search warrant to look for signs of a lab and discovered drug evidence, according to Early.
Ransom was held on $20,000 cash bail after being arraigned Friday in Central District Court.
The 19-year-old singer was in a yellow Lamborghini when he was arrested and later failed a sobriety test.Officers saw two cars racing at 4:09 a.m. Thursday, with two vehicles apparently used to block the area off, Miami Dade-Police spokesman Sgt. Bobby Hernandez told WSVN in South Florida. He says the second car was a red Ferrari, and that driver was also arrested. Both cars were towed.
Bieber failed a field sobriety test and was taken to the Miami Beach police station for a Breathalyzer and processing, Hernandez said. Bieber will be transported to the Miami-Dade County jail, Hernandez said.
The street where police say Bieber was racing is a palm-tree-lined residential area in mid-Miami Beach. Along one side of the street are small apartment buildings, and on the other side are a high school, a youth center, a golf course and a city firehouse.
According to WFOR, Bieber has been staying in Miami this week, and on Wednesday was spotted out a nightclub.
On Wednesday, Bieber posted a series of photos and videos on Instagram:
Earlier this month, officials said that detectives in California searched Bieber’s home looking for surveillance footage that might serve as evidence the pop star was involved in an egg-tossing vandalism case that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a neighbor’s home. Officials said Bieber was at the home and cooperated with authorities
In that case, authorities arrested one member of Bieber’s entourage on suspicion of drug possession: Lil Za, a rapper whose real name is Xavier Smith.
After being taken to jail, Smith had felony vandalism added to his potential charges and was released on bail at about 8:15 p.m.The singer lives in a gated community in Calabasas, a celebrity enclave about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
Previous investigations into Bieber’s conduct by the sheriff’s department have not resulted in charges.
In October, prosecutors declined to charge Bieber after a neighbor complained he drove recklessly through the area. Prosecutors in November 2012 also declined to charge the singer after a paparazzo accused him of punching and hitting him after leaving a Calabasas movie theater.
The latest issues with the law follow a string of head-scratching incidents over the past year.
In December, the singer tweeted that he was “officially retiring” but then told fans he’s “here forever.” The previous month, he was reportedly caught at a brothel in Brazil. During that same say, Bieber left the stage at Arena Anhembi in Sao Paulo after an audience member threw a bottle at him; he never returned.
He recent told radio host Ryan Seacrest, “People don’t get to see me living as a 19-year-old boy…I’m still finding myself and when I have the media attacking me every day it’s no [different] than bullying that happens in school.”